The Brunori family, whose ancestral home is the town of Cupramontana (Province of Ancona), have always been producers of Verdicchio wine, but it was not until 1956 that they went from simply turning out wine in barrels to bottling their product, at the same time opening a sales outlet in the town of Jesi (Province of Ancona).
A major turning point was the grape harvest of 1975, which led to the introduction on the market, in 1976, of the SAN NICOLO' cru, a Verdicchio wine named for the rural district where its vineyard is located.
The first vintage Superior Classic Verdicchio of the Castelli di Jesi was not presented in the classic jug-shaped recipient but in Bordeaux-style bottles. The change was made to set apart a wine whose strength is quality control, starting in the vineyard, with attentive monitoring of the yield per hectare, which is kept at proper levels through expert pruning in the summer period. The harvest is carried out by hand, sector by sector, following which the grapes are immediately soft pressed in the cellar.
Praise and recognition of the wine were quick to arrive. The first renowned wine and food expert to take note of the San Nicolò Verdicchio was Luigi Veronelli, who gave it excellent reviews on a number of occasions, launching it on the Italian market. The volume of production, which started with the 3,000 bottles of the 1975 harvest, reached 14,000 units in 2007.
The Brunori family holds that major occasions deserve the proper attention, and so:
The 2006 grape harvest, which came on the 50th anniversary of the company’s founding and the 30th anniversary of the select San Nicolò vintage, was marked by the production of 1,320 bottles of Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Doc Classic wine from the San Nicolò Reserve.